a high protein, high comfort food sure to please even the pickiest palate
- 1 tbsp oil (I use peanut)
- 16 oz sweet peppers or 3 bell peppers, cut in large chunks
- 1 cup vegan half & half (recipe below or use store bought)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cube Edward & Sons Not-Chick’n Bouillon
- 8 oz pasta (I used Banza)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 12.95 oz package Field Roast Italian Garlic & Fennel Sausage, chopped fine (can also sub beef crumbles, but double basil and oregano)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt to taste
Vegan Half & Half
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large skillet, saute peppers in oil over medium heat until starting to darken, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, bake peppers in the oven at 400° until starting to darken, about 15-30 minutes.
- In a blender, pulse cooked peppers and remaining sauce ingredients until desired consistency. I left a few small chunks of pepper.
- Set aside.
- Cook pasta to al dente and set aside. Reserve a half cup of the water for later.
- In a large skillet, saute the chopped onion and sausage in oil over medium heat until both are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and other seasonings and saute until garlic is aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add flour to the pan and stir until just combined. You may need to add a little more oil.
- Add blended sauce to pan. Heat until thickened.
- Add cooked pasta and stir to mix.
- Add pasta water as needed to reach desired consistency.
Optional: Vegan Half & Half
- Add all ingredients to Vitamix and blend on soup mode, or until steam rises off the top. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- If you don’t have a Vitamix, you can pre boil the cashews in water for ten minutes and blend in a standard blender.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.